Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's in my garden

Hi, folks!
I've been picking summer squash and cucumbers for the past week or two, and now the beans are in!
Row of beans, with chicken wire to keep rabbits out



I only have one row of beans, but you'd be surprised how long they last.  I still have canned beans from last year and they're dated 7/28 and 7/30. Today is the 29th and I canned 10 half-pints of beans from that one basket, and there's enough left over to make three-bean salad. I started canning almost 30 years ago when my husband and I had a much bigger garden.  Canning is easy and fun, you can buy the supplies at the hardware store or grocery store.  If you don't grow your own, you can buy in bulk from your local farm stand.  For complete instructions on home canning, visit www.foodinjars.com.
Here is a list of what I'm growing:
      One row of green beans
       two cucumber plants
       one zucchini plant
       one yellow summer squash plant
       four broccoli plants
       two Brussels sprout stalks
       two green pepper plants
       one small patch of beets
       two Jet Star tomato plants
       one cherry tomato in a patio container
       one plant each of sage, chives, basil, parsley and lavender
 




5 comments:

  1. The canned beans look delicious, and you've got a beautiful photo of them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sure are producing a lot from that very short list of veggies. I'm a first-year gardener, so this is informative...and makes me think I can put more veggies in next year. Inspiring. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Allison!
      Yes, it's surprising how much you can get out of a small garden space. By the way, if canning seems too complicated, you can freeze beans and other veggies: just blanch in boiling water and store in plastic freezer bags.

      Delete
  3. You photos are beautiful. And the baby robins picture is amazing! How did you manage to get so close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! The robins built a nest in a mimosa tree right next to my back deck, so they made it easy for me. :)

      Delete