Thursday, August 30, 2012

Backyard Invaders!

No, they're not aliens from outer space, I'm talking about invasive plant species. The worst offender is poison ivy, pictured below.  This vine is growing its way up a dead tree in the back corner of my lot.  If you look closely, you can see other dead roots, some as wide as three or four inches, yes, that is one ancient poison ivy root!  I thought I had eradicated this unwelcome guest from my yard a few years ago, but it's back with a vengeance.  Notice the slightly shiny leaves in groups of three and the reddish tint to the new growth at the top. (Double click to enlarge photos.)
poison ivy roots alongside tree





Queen Anne's lace
purple loosestrife
The purple loosestrife and Queen Anne's lace are technically weeds, but they're not particularly invasive and they have a beauty all their own.  Mint (not pictured) is very invasive, however, and I've got that down to just a few plants hiding along one side of the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment